Thursday, January 23, 2014

Homemade Brownies

For a brief period in my childhood, I was in Girl Scouts. And I believe it was a Girl Scouts cooking class where I stumbled upon the Best Brownie Recipe Ever and have continued to use it for the last 20ish years. Seriously. SO good. And SO unhealthy (as you will soon see). I say "I believe" because my overactive imagination tends to make things up (like the years I spent believing that the Cargill billboard I saw on my bus route to school as a kindergartner/first grader featured my dad's face - um, why? Because he wore a Cargill hat around the farm? I don't know, but I was pretty shocked when I later learned he was not their model!). So maybe it was GS, maybe it was not. But either way I ended up with this awesome plastic bound green cookbook (and yet that I remember) with the beloved and much used Dump Bar recipe. In fact, it was so much used, that the page is terribly stained with baking debris because like my dear father, the handsome-but-not-actually-a-seed-billboard-model, I am a terribly messy being in the kitchen.

I mention all of this because earlier today (two posts in one day - oh, my!), when I wrote about the crazy arse morning we were having, one of my dearest and obviously wisest friends suggested the word "chocolate" to me. And I, of course, thought of Dump Bars. And some folks started asking for the recipe. So here you have it - my first (I think) recipe post.

But I need your help. I hate extremely dislike the name Dump Bars. But I've always called it that because I'm a rule follower and that was the name given in the green cookbook. But seriously? Dump Bars? I get it because all you do is dump stuff in and stir and viola, magic happens:
But, for real, can you please help me come up with a better name?

Maybe, for inspiration, you should make a batch. Here's the How To:

The Yet-to-be-Properly-Named Best Brownies Ever
Ingredients:
2 c. sugar
1/2 c. cocoa (all I have currently is special dark and I have to say, for this recipe, not my fave)
1 3/4 c. flour
1 t. salt
1 c. oil
1 t. vanilla
5 eggs
1 c. chocolate chips (divided) (and for this, I LOVE the special dark)

Directions:
Mix all dry ingredients. Create a well and mix in remaining ingredients, including 1/3-1/2 chips last. Spread in greased 9x13 pan. Top with remaining chips. Bake 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees (I go for minimum time to get maximum goo factor).

*******
Seriously. That's it. And then they look like this and taste like amazing.
Now. I know some of you just fell off your chairs when you read that ingredient list. I know. It's terrible and SO unhealthy (I warned you!). But please, don't judge me for how unhealthy this is. Or do, if you'd like. I really won't mind because I'll be here enjoying my lovely sugar coma thanks to my awesome but
yet-to-be named brownies.

******Naming Update******
There were some great suggestions when I posted this the first time, but the winner is, hands down, Tuesday Bars. Great job, S! You know me and this blog well enough to know that that is just perfect! And since it is frigidycold today, we are making a batch (even though it is Saturday) because it will warm up the house (and add an extra layer of padding to ourselves, too). Enjoy, should you chose to do the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment