Wednesday, August 27, 2014

New Beginnings

While in Omaha last month, one of my assignments from "yoga school" was to write out a complete hour-long class (plus playlist). If I had any doubt that yoga teaching was for me (which, you probably know, I did not), completing this task showed me just how much I'm going to love this next step in my yoga journey. I mean, there's enough good music to last me at least 1,000 classes and since I'm probably going to theme my classes around music as much as I am certain body parts or asanas, I'm all set to be enjoying this gig for quite some time. (To my own yoga teachers - is it wrong to sequence a class based on the songs you want to play during said class? Maybe I don't want an answer to that...). Beyond the tunes, I also had a blast running through some of my favorite poses (hellooooo, twists in seated, supine, and standing form!) and coming up with a sequence that was both satisfying and challenging. I titled that very first class "New Beginnings" because it was my hope/intention to use it when my students are faced with change (in seasons or in life), or when I am. Plus it was my very. first. full. sequence. which is a pretty big deal/new beginning all its own.

It's a good thing I did this assignment (beyond the fact that I like to be a good student which, obviously, means turning in homework!) because right after I returned home, I was asked to teach three classes that very week at avani! You may remember reading about how that first one went here. Although it was slightly terrifying to dive right into teaching the second I got home, it was also totally awesome because now that I'm less than a week out from starting up my life as a full-time yoga instructor (or as full-time as I can be while also staying home with my Littles full-time and teaching night class at the community college!), I'm not really freaking out.

OK, I'm kind of freaking out. But only because I am so darn excited to start next week. I've made lists and playlists and a four-month outline so I can keep track of what I teach so I'm constantly targeting different areas of the body or energy lines, etc. which is soooooo Type A of me, but are you surprised? In case you were wondering, I may have crossed a few more Hippy Dippy lines this summer but I'm still pretty solid with my Type A-ness and you know what? That's OK! The combination makes me who and what I am, and hopefully it will show my yoga students that you can be part-Zen and part-Monica (please, someone tell me you got that reference?! AT, I know you will!) and it is still all good.

So, for the yogis and yoginis and yoga-curious in the Hastings area, here's a rundown of when/where/what
I'll be teaching (starting after the Labor Day holiday break! whoohoo!!). I can't wait to see you at a class (even - especially! - if it is your very first one!) sometime soon. Yoga has given me calm and strength I haven't had in years and while I'm still very much a work in progress, I can't wait to share my excitement and all that I have learned with you. Yes, you! Remember...you don't have to be flexible to do yoga; you simply need to be willing. Namaste, my friends!

Regular Classes:
9 a.m. on Sundays (at avani) - Flow - What a fun and great way to start your week off right! Feel free to come, even if you plan to attend a church service later in the day - this class will get you in touch with your mind, body, and spirit for sure.

7 p.m. on Wednesdays (at 16th Street Hastings Family YMCA) - Basic Flow - All the benefits of breath work and stretching without the (sometimes) faster pace of a standard flow. This class is great for both beginners and experienced practitioners!

7 p.m. on Thursdays (at avani) - Yin - Such a good class if you need to work on quieting the mind. We use lots of props in this class and hold poses for quite some time as we work different meridians and energy lines. Plus, it's just downright yummy.

Part-time Classes:
4:45 p.m. on Tuesdays (at avani) - Flow - I'm sharing this class with another instructor, so we'll take turns teaching and helping you get your flow on!

3:30 p.m. on the 2nd and 4th Sunday of the month (at avani) - Family Yoga - Come one! Come all! We will continue offering Family Yoga as a free-will donation to various charities and organizations around town/NE, so feel free to come with any or all of your family and join the flow/fun. This is another shared class, so you'll get me once a month for this one. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment