Saturday, January 3, 2015

Books 2015

A new year and a new goal - 52 books in 52 weeks, all picked because they fit one of the categories in the below-posted list. A friend shared this link with me on New Year's and I was instantly excited, not to mention hooked. I spent some time filling in ideas for many of the categories and figure the rest will fall into place throughout the year. Will I really accomplish this? Well, I have yet to hit a book a week since I started keeping track of titles two years ago, but I love the category prompts and am greatly anticipating many of these titles, so maybe there is hope? 

Beyond the category list, I'm going to keep track of the books in the order I read them along with brief notes; this is how I remember which ones I want to recommend to others and is what I typically post at the end of each December. Beyond that is yet another list of titles that I've found or have been recommended to me. Will they make the cut this year? Perhaps; but if not, I want to hang on to them for 2016. As for this present calendar year, well, three cheers for many happy hours of reading contained within it! 
Stack of nine books to get me started - either from the L.I.B. or our
own shelves. A couple I've read before, but remember next to
nothing about, but at least half are totally new. 
Categories for Book Selection 
A book with more than 500 pages  All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr 
• A classic romance  Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen 
A book that became a movie The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick
A book published this year The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
A book with a number in the title  Counting by 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan
• A book written by someone under 30
A book with nonhuman characters  The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians Book 2) by Rick Riordan 

• A funny book  Yes Please by Amy Poehler
A book by a female author Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline 
A mystery or thriller  The Expats (a novel) by Chris Pavone 
A book with a one-word title Lila by Marilynne Robinson
A book of short stories One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories by B.J. Novak 
• A book set in a different country  The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
A nonfiction book Bountiful, Beautiful, Blissful by Gurmukh
• A popular author’s first book Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
A book from an author you love that you haven’t read yet   Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
• A book a friend recommended The Northern Lights by Jennifer Donnely 
A Pulitzer Prize-winning book  Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
• A book based on a true story  Into Thin Air by John Krakauer
A book at the bottom of your to-read list 50 Shades of Grey by EL James
• A book your mom loves Sure Signs of Crazy by Karen Harrington
A book that scares you The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova 
• A book more than 100 years old
• A book based entirely on its cover
• A book you were supposed to read in school but didn’t  Skinny Legs and All by Tom Robbins (not that I have ever not read an assigned book - this was one that was taught at Doane in a class I did not have to take, but I have always felt like I should read it as I took plenty of other classes from the same professor who adores TR - end rant!)
A memoir The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe
A book you can finish in a day The Good Luck of Right Now by Matthew Quick
• A book with antonyms in the title  All Days are Night by Peter Staam 
A book set somewhere you’ve always wanted to visit  The House Girl by Tara Conklin
• A book that came out the year you were born  The Color Purple by Alice Walker
• A book with bad reviews
A trilogy The Giver series (technically four books, see below Gathering Blue, Messenger, Son)
A book from your childhood The Giver by Lois Lowry 
A book with a love triangle 
Landline by Rainbow Rowell
A book set in the future  Delirium by Lauren Oliver
A book set in high school I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson
A book with a color in the title  Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery 
• A book that made you cry
• A book with magic
• A graphic novel Copycat Crook
A book by an author you’ve never read before Dear Daughter by Elizabeth Little
A book you own but have never read  Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
A book that takes place in your home town The Homecoming by m.c. merrill
• A book that was originally written in a different language The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
• A book set during Christmas The Christmas Train by David Baldacci 
A book written by an author with your same initials by Fly Away Home by Jennifer Weiner
• A play Uncommon Women and Others by Wendy Wasserstein 

• A banned book  American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis
A book based on or turned into a TV show Orange is the New Black by Piper Kerman
• A book you started but never finished  Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Wolfe

Find category: Go Find a Watchman by Harper Lee (!)

Books in Order - 2015
1) The Expats (a novel) by Chris Pavone -- this one had my head swimming and my hands turning pages quickly as I raced through it trying to get all the loose ends pieced together.
2) Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery -- so much about this had I forgotten! Most embarrassingly, that it is set in Canada and that it is the book that gives us the beautiful (and with which I heartedly agree) quote, "I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers." Wonderful re-read!
3) The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick -- could have easily put this in the "made me laugh" and "read in a day" categories because it was so good that I couldn't go to bed last night until I finished. Loved the slightly unreliable and mentally unstable narrator and am looking forward to watching the movie this weekend (finally!) w/ the hubs.
4) The Good Luck of Right Now by Matthew Quick -- can't help but make a comment about my quick Quick kick - two of his books in back-to-back days. They are that devourable and interesting.
5) All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr -- this book certainly took a lot longer to get through than my first few offerings of the year, but it was well worth the time and the read. Beautifully and intricately woven narrative and characters. Beyond good.
6) Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty -- patting myself on the back for figuring out one major twist in the novel, but was still left turning pages frantically at the end, waiting to put all the pieces together. Love her characters and the way this one unfolded narratively.
7) Lila by Marilynne Robinson -- had no idea I was stumbling into a series of sorts when I read this book (and it's number 3 - whoops!) but I greatly enjoyed it and look forward to reading others (and adding them to this year's list)!
8) The Giver by Lois Lowry -- always interesting to go back to a book from when you were younger. Now I am so intrigued to read the rest of the series for the first time!
9) Fly Away Home by Jennifer Weiner -- thought this was going to be an easy/breezy read but there was way more depth and content (in such a good way) here than anticipated, so instead it allowed me to slow down and really enjoy the characters and their stories.
10) Bountiful, Beautiful, Blissful by Gurmukh -- I can't believe it took me until my fourth pregnancy to discover the "Gurmukh book" but OH. MY. Now that it's in my life, it will forever by my recommendation to all the mamas, new or repeat. So empowering. So wonderful.
11) Dear Daughter by Elizabeth Little -- Randomly plucked from the New Fiction shelves at the LIB and brought home primarily b/c the setting of the novel takes place, mostly, in SoDak. Was an entertaining mystery read that left me guessing through most of it. (completed Feb.7 - productive start to my reading year!)
12) The House Girl by Tara Conklin -- Another random grab from the New Fiction shelf - turned out to be a page turner that I enjoyed. Love intertwining characters and story lines that cross boundaries of time and location. Put this as the "place I'd like to visit" pick because I really would like to see more places in The South.
13) Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline -- joining a new book club this year and this was my first read for that group. Another cross/generation cross/narrator book which is right up my alley! Honestly had no idea about orphan trains, so this fictional read was both entertaining and eye opening.
14) Landline by Rainbow Rowell -- aeieieee, I love RR's books and this one was no exception. A quick read, with a little bit of magic and mystery and I just loved it. I have a copy, if you'd like to borrow it.
15) Gilead by Marilynne Robinson -- part one of the accidental trilogy I discovered in reading Lila, and I must say, I am very curious to read part two as well. Each book features a different narrator/protagonist, but all are connected, so the whole story is coming together in a fascinating way.
16) The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians Book 2) by Rick Riordan -- have to say, I read the first of this series last year and I really do enjoy them - but since I can, I need to read them closer together from here on out so I don't forget so much. A great YA series! 
17) Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry -- book two in the Giver Series which I did not know was a series until a year or so ago. Loving it but have huge desire to re-watch M. Night Shyamalan's The Village now. 
18) Messenger by Lois Lowry -- flying through these books b/c 1) they are SO good 2) they are written for young adults 3) can't wait to see what happens in Book Four
19) Son by Lois Lowry -- the last book in the series took me a wee bit longer than the first three but totally worth it. Loved how much the story stood on its own as well as tied in everything from the entire series and gave the quartet a feeling of finality. SO good. Still can't believe I didn't know this was a series until recently! (finished March 2) 
20) Counting by 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan -- took me longer than anticipated to get into this book, but once I did, I was very much in and enjoyed the variety of narrative voice/style and the story itself. 
21) Memoirs of a Geisha by Arther Golden -- pretty sure this book has been on my shelves since before I was married and yet I've never read it because I didn't think I could get into it. Wrong! So good, I couldn't put it down. So I'm 15ish years late to the party (it was originally published in 97. Crazy.), but if you are too, read it!!
22) One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories by BJ Novak -- I may have laughed harder at the acknowledgements and "Discussion Questions" than the stories, but that doesn't mean they weren't enjoyable. I loved the way characters and bits from one story would subtly appear in another later on in the book. A great collection!
23) Attachments by Rainbow Rowell -- it's official! I have now read all of RR's books (ending w/ her first) and loved every one, too. I should have known better to start this right after supper last night because then I had to stay up until I finished it. Can't wait for what she does next! 
24) Delirium by Lauren Oliver -- aaaaaaand I am officially over the whole YA doomsday genre. (completed 3.30.15)
25) The Homecoming by M.C. Merrill -- Whoa. I was only 10 at the time of Tammy Haas' murder so honestly, I remember very little of this in real time. Based on true events but fictionalized, this book was a mind game to read because of knowing/remembering very little from what was in the news/talked about at the time or in the years after, so I had a hard time knowing what might be real and what might be speculation within the text. All told, the book paints a much different picture of the Yankton I knew as a kid, or even how I know it now, but it certainly made me think. 
26) I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson -- Thanks to the beauty of social media, I'm now helping start another book club and this was selected as the first read for that group and Oh. My. I adored it. Flat out, adored. The narrators, the imagery, the descriptions of real life in such a dramatic and teen ager sort of way without being overdone or annoying....SO GOOD! And squeeeeeeeeee! I'm HALF-WAY!!! (4.8.15)
27) Orange is the New Black by Piper Kerman -- back-to-back book club reads this week and I was super excited to read this one because I've been wanting to read it ever since B & I started watching the Netflix version of it last year. Love the show and still do, but (spoiler alert) this book is really not like the over-the-top drama you get with the show. It is such a fascinating memoir, though, and really makes a person think about not only the prison system but also the justice system at large and how we could be doing SO much better as a society to approach reform and corrections in a better way. Bonus for my book list? This totally fits a category I had left to fill! 
28) 50 Shades of Grey by EL James -- when this came out a few years ago, I did want to read it, but since then my interest dwindled hence the category selected for this book now that I have finally read it. My response? There's not much, beyond the obvious, that happens in 500 pages, and I could get super snotty about the language/word choices used, but instead I'll just say this book is what it is: not complete garbage but not literary amazingness either. 
29) The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins -- Bummer. Sometimes you request and wait for a book, super excited because it is super popular and everyone wants to read it, and then you finally get your hands on a copy only to have it turn out to be meh. It's OK and some things surprise you, but others do not and by the end, you're left wondering what all the hype was about. In other words, this is not one I'd highly recommend. I liked the compelling narrative style of different voices/times, but I kept waiting for more Oomph. 
30) The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova -- OK, so not Stephen-King-Scary (I haven't read anything like that since high school and don't care to again b/c my imagination is overly active and I don't sleep enough as it is, thank you very much!), but focused on Dracula and super creepy in places, so I'm counting it as the scary book of the bunch. Also terrifying? It was 909 (909!) pages long! I liked the book a lot, though, and found it entertaining in its multi-layeredness, even if some of the historical bits got a bit dense. Side note: Brilliant Husband suggested I also do a count of pages read for all of these books. Totally going to do that! (Date completed 4.23.15)
31) The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe -- Written by a man who stays connected to his dying mother (pancreatic cancer) through the shared love for books, this is another book club read for the year. Some poignant lines about connections and life and, obviously, the importance of reading, that I greatly enjoyed in the book. Some of the discussion of the books read and even the lifestyle of the family over the years was a bit out of touch for me, but the relationship between the two of them and how he found a way to support and listen to his mother through their book talks was touching. 
32) 


Want to Read List
Home by Marilynne Robinson
The Magician's Lie by Greer Macallister 
The Wicked Girls by Alex Marwood (not at lib)
This One is Mine by Maria Semple (not at lib)
Serena by Ron Rash (not at lib)
Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight
The Round House by Louise Erdrich
What Came from the Stars by Gary Schmidt
The Girl with the Pearl Earing by Tracy Chevalier
The Birth House by Ami McKay
Hidden Wives by Claire Avery (not at lib) 
Far From the Tree by Andrew Solomon
The Orchid House by Lucinda Riley
Abide with Me by Sabin Willett
Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter
Give Me Everything You Have by James Lasdun
Her by Christa Parravani
The Shipping News by Annie Proulx
Call the Midwife by Jennifer Worth
The Night Gwen Stacy Died 
Goldfinch
Law Man
Loving Frank
Higher Calling (true story)
Cutting for Stone
A Reliable Wife 
We Are Not Ourselves
The Meaning of Names by Karen Shoemaker 

No comments:

Post a Comment