Monday, December 12, 2011

Owl Eyes

Normally I love my daughter's eyes. They are the most beautiful combination of dark and light blue and I hope that they retain that color forever. What I don't love, however, is when her beautiful blue eyes take on the spooked, perfect circle look that I have dubbed "Owl Eyes"; truly, they are alarmingly large and largely alarming. When we see these eyes, we know we are in for the long, long haul...like last night when Miss Raegan decided that she would snooze for about 20 minutes starting shortly after 7 p.m. and then would not close her eyes again to sleep until after 2 a.m. Seriously?! I swear I am not pumping her full of caffeine, so where do these evenings/nights come from? And it wasn't just that she wouldn't sleep. She wouldn't stop crying/screaming unless one of us was holding her. Did I mention that this weekend was Ben's turn with the stomach flu and both of us were exhausted from a long day with him totally out of commission? So yeah, not good timing for one of "those" nights. At least Harrison was visiting his grandparents for one more night so we didn't have to worry about all of the commotion waking him as well.

I should have tried to take a picture of Raegan's Owl Eyes last night. I mean, it's not like I could have made the situation any worse by doing so, and really, they are a sight to behold. I picked "owl" because "crazy" seemed mean and they really do resemble the large round eyes you might find on Harry Potter's favorite bird. Now that I think about it, though, the name is even more clever than I intended because of how these eyes are associated with her night owl moments. And just how is being clever working out for me (asks Tyler Durden)? Well, I'm still sleep deprived, but at least I'm finding some humor in it all.

Obviously, as I'm free to type and Ben is grading papers, Owl Eyes have not made an appearance yet tonight. Hopefully this means we're in the clear and will get some actual sleep later. If I don't, I know some other circles just below my eyes that will be growing and darkening even more than they already have.

No comments:

Post a Comment